When and Where was India’s first computer installed?
India’s first computer was installed in 1955 in Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta (now called Kolkata).
History of India’s first computer
- The Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) at Calcutta (now Kolkata) was the first institute to have the privilege.
- India bought its first computer for an amount of Rs 10 lakh.
- The age of computer in India began in 1955 with the installation of HEC-2M
- HEC-2M was a computer designed by A.D.Booth in England
- It was also recognised as a number-crunching machine with a huge size.
Computer made by Indians
TIFRAC (Tata Institute of Fundamental Research Automatic Calculator) was the first computer developed in India, at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research in Mumbai. Initially, a TIFR Pilot Machine was developed in the 1950s.
A manual console served as the input/output control unit of the computer. The software of TIFRAC was written in a series of commands of 0’s and 1’s.
Param 8000 is the first supercomputer developed by Indian scientists. The first supercomputer assembled indigenously, called Param Shivay, was installed in IIT (BHU).